1. It's Not About the Enterprise: We've already had Voyager and DS9, shows that weren't about the U.S.S. Enterprise. And, technically, Star Trek: Enterprise falls into that category as well since it wasn't U.S.S. But NX or something like that. And that Enterprise shouldn't even have existed in the first place since Kirk and Pike should have been commanding the first Enterprise, not Archer. I don't want to watch another show that isn't about this legendary ship. We've already been there and done that with two, technically 3, shows already. Let's not go there again until after we see another Star Trek show about another Enterprise. After all, we haven't seen the U.S.S. Enterprise for many years now, we need to see it again with a new, young, Captain in the command chair.
2. It's Not Going to Be on TV: Rather, this show is going to be on some kind of "All Access" kind of thing where people pay a subscription for it. And judging by what I've read, fans are unenthusiastic about it and for good reason. If it's not on TV, the show will fail.
3. The Captain is Not the Star: I'm sorry, but who wants to see a show about some up and coming ranked officer instead of the Captain? That just throws all kind of tradition out the window and stories will be told in such an awkward way it'll be too jarring. Who wants that?
4. It's Been Delayed...repeatedly: And this right here is why Discovery is failing before it even gets off the ground. And it's also another reason why fans are not very enthusiastic about seeing the show. If Discovery manages to even get on the air, it'll be too little, too late and no one will see it and Discovery will last only one short season before being cancelled due to poor ratings.
5. Casting Decisions Haven't Been Great: I don't know about you, but the casting decisions so far haven't been great. Even if I was looking forward to seeing this show, there aren't any great casting choices to be excited about. Not one.
Its the stories that make Star Trek what it is, thought provoking standalone stories. There have been some great two parters and films, but its the one off clever premise and the clever use of continuity with that that always hooks me.
Star Trek Continues is the real Star Trek as far as I'm concerned and Vic is my favourite Captain since Picard. (Yes as good as Shatner, better than at times.
If you miss a great show about the Starship Enterprise... then there is no better choice. http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html