Does anyone have a code?
1) If someone is overly nice to me, then I automatically do not trust this person. Respect is one thing, but 'overly nice' is suspicious.
2) If someone throws you under the bus, maybe they are having a bad day. If they do it again, by hook or by crook, get them back (the second chance option is pretty much gone now, now I retaliate straight away).
3) Don't throw someone under the bus, unless you really have to (except rule no 2). As in, you have discovered something illegal and there's a likelihood you will get swept up in it. Or someone is making a really bad decision that will affect the business.
4) If someone is sinking, offer a hand. If they are still sinking, take that hand back. If they really can't help themselves, don't fall into the pond trying to retrieve them. I call this lame duck syndrome.
5) Don't listen to sob stories. Well, listen, but don't really respond much, otherwise that's all you will hear when ever you see them. Similar to rule 4.
6) Don't offer anyone a lift...ever. Otherwise you will be leaving when they leave, when they are late, you're be running late. When they start moaning about work in the car, there's no escape....
7) Fit into the cliche. At my current work they think I'm a player. My colleagues are quite laddish. For some reason, they think I have a bit on the side. I haven't, but for some reason the fact that they think this has endeared me to the boss and his peer group. (Note - I really don't understand this).
8) If for whatever reason, you and a peer don't like each other? You know what, who cares? Hopefully they are not your boss, but don't go the extra mile. Trying makes you look desperate and weak.If they are being rewarded for their bad behaviour, they get the power in their relationship.
9) People have weird views on themselves. Some think they are the office hard man when they have never been in a real fight or they think they are the office stud despite the fact they are 35 and live with their mum. If it doesn't affect you indulge their fantasy.
10) Try and work the best angle for your boss. Try hard to work towards the bigger picture. Don't just do your job, go the extra mile. Never slag your boss off unless there is a need. You just look like a dick and people assume you slag everyone off.
11) Try not to make the tea to much, you look a teamaid.
1.) I'm at work to make money not friends.
2.) Most people are cool to work with and to joke around with. Always be on the look out for that one person that gets offended over everything.
3.) Cover your own butt. Save every email.
4.) Work place relationships always end in disaster.
5.) Putting in extra work and time doesn't count if the boss doesn't see it.
6.) Never agree to train the person they promoted over you.